Friday, June 20, 2008

Puebla to Palenque

5/29/08: From Mexico City we took a two hour bus ride (that was nuthin) to Puebla. After getting ready to leave my job the week before, I felt like the city was the last thing I needed so this was a nice change.


Looking out our hotel window. I spent a lot of time out in the courtyard reading and journaling (I had had a bit too much tequila the night before). What you can't see are the 3 or 4 couples that parked their asses on benches and made out for hours.

This is inside someone's home...imagine?



This was Derek's dinner. Pretty, isn't it?


I tried some of his cacutus.

Ernesto has a hard time taking a nice photo ;-)
They had a live band where we had dinner and this song (played behind the guitarist's head) was dedicated to our table!
5/30/08: A four hour bus ride brings us to Oaxaca. Almost as soon as we started our city tour a group of kids spotted us as tourists and came up, hands out, asking for pesos. Peter, gave in and handed out 10 pesos a piece ($1 US). They pegged him for a sucker and brought over their baby brother.


More churches The market here wasn't quite as smelly as in Mexico City....
.....but they did have a local delicacy...grasshoppers. Yum. Very fiberous.

Trish is adverterous and tries one.
....then Peter. After that face can you blame me for not trying one?

5/31/08: The ruins, Monte Alban








Lunch after our visit to the ruins was YUMMY!
For a good part of my trip I didn't have much of an appetite. I only landed up eating half of this delicious soup....but I managed to get down two beers, so don't worry, my caloric intake was enough to keep my weight on.
I just liked this guys shirt against color of the wall.

We took an overnight bus to San Cristobal on 5/31. It rained all night, was foggy, and the roads were really windy. I didn't get much sleep that night. We got to San Cristobal around 9a.m. We had brunch and took the public transport (which were basically junky vans) to Chamula.
See my little friend?
There weren't any more pics of Chamula. Why you ask? Well, upon arrival our guide explained that the town was run by 'local authorities' and that pictures are not advisable. Basically the Mexican government has been known to send people in as 'tourists' to take pictures of the local authorities and then have them killed. It's too bad because they had a very interesting church there unlike any other. It hasn't had a priest for many years and local healers come and sit in front of statues of saints to pray. Fireworks are set off to let the locals know that the healers are in town and at church.


That night we went out to a bar and I salsa danced all night.

The next day we had a free day and that was when I took the yoga class and met up with that teacher I may go down and sub for. Couldn't you see me living in this little town?

I just had to take a picture of Peter's Subway sandwich because they don't make 'em that pretty in the states!

6/3/08: On our way to Panlenque we stopped at Agua Azul (Blue Water) which weren't very blue because of all the rain the region had been experiencing.
I also started taking pictures of grammatically incorrect signage (there was a lot of it).



Next we stopped at Misol Ha, which was even more stunning. Here's a random abandoned pizza joint on the walk to the falls
I was able to walk on a path behind these falls. Wow, it was such a phenominal experience to feel the power of the water. Needless to say I got soaked.
This was a really good restaurant. We landed up going back for dinner the next night and breakfast the next morning!
Just a pretty picture of raindrops in the pool.
Random shots from around town....

6/4/08: Palenque Ruins. I really liked this place.....


This little boy spoke 5 languages (English was not one of them). He helped out our guide on our tour for 2 hours pointing out things and giving information only in hopes to sell us some cheesy necklaces for 10 pesos. Of course, we all bought one.




Look closely and you can see the outline of someone being sacrificed....

Derek is so silly....



We went on a walk through the surrounding forest.
This is called a tourist tree....because it's reddish and peels. Hehe
We had to cross a small river a few times

Those Keen sandals and my quick drying pants really came in handy.




So at the end of our little jungle walk I saw this sign which basically says "Restricted zone. Do not pass."

After the ruins I tried to go into town to make a call home (unsuccessfully) and on the way back to the hotel it started to downpour. I was (again) drenched. It was actually really fun walking back in the rain. When I came back I found Mel and Derek in their swimmies playing frisbee.

This is one of my absolute favorite pictures of me on the whole trip...and one of my favorite memories.
My purse and wallet were damp for days, but it was worth it.


Stay tuned...we're about half way through the pictures. I'll get more up when I can!!

2 comments:

MOM said...

People would go nuts for those subways! There is hardly any meat on the ones they make here anymore. That spider was creepy! I'm glad to hear you bought a necklace. You look so small next to the ruins. It is fun playing in the rain. To bad they can't slip that rain across the border where there's a drought. You have a good eye, just like me, when it comes to taking pics. Love them and you too Pinky, MOM

DiscoBubba said...

Those Grasshoppers look delicious! You shoulda totally tried one. Pssh how close minded you are. Oh hey, is that the poncho I hooked ya up with at the falls there?